Tammerfest 2017. Photo: Laura Vanzo / Visit Tampere

Now it is official: Tampere city is committed to the European Capital of Culture bid

At its meeting on 14th of December 2020, the Tampere City Council decided to commit to the Tampere and Pirkanmaa Capital of Culture call with a maximum funding of EUR 18.75 million.

The funding is spread over the years 2021-2027. The funding will be implemented if Tampere and Pirkanmaa are selected as the European Capital of Culture in 2026. In 2021, EUR 542,000 will be set aside for the costs of the second application phase of the Capital of Culture bid.

In the Tampere Region application model, the City of Tampere is responsible for 75% of the costs, leaving 19 partner communities with 25%, or about 6.2 million. In total, financing from municipalities would therefore not exceed EUR 25 million. The state is expected to give the same amount of funding. The state’s share has not been disclosed so far. Including private financing, a total budget of around EUR 58 million is foreseen.

The title brings economic benefits

The budgets of the Capitals of Culture have typically been EUR 20-70 million. There is no “right” amount, and the EU will not give this
recommendations. Usually the state finances about 40% of the budget, the city / region 40% and in the form of private funding and EU grant channels. about 20%.

In previous years, cities have calculated that they will benefit significantly from the Capital of Culture year. In Aarhus, for example, the budget for the 2017 Capital of Culture year was around EUR 66 million.

The year generated an increase of EUR 159 million in the region’s private sector turnover. The increase was mostly for tourism. 1965 new jobs also came to the area, according to an official monitoring report.

Selection next June

The European Capital of Culture 2026 will be chosen from Finland. The selection will be made by a European panel of experts. The selection is a two-step process. The 1st round was resolved on 6/2020. All applicants (Tampere, Oulu, Savonlinna) were able to continue, partly due to an exceptional COVID-situation.

Almost the whole of Pirkanmaa is included in the bid for Tampere. Mikkeli, Kuopio, Lappeenranta and Joensuu are included in the Savonlinna bid.

The jury selected the successors on the basis of the application book and the book presentation. The 60-page application book will be supplemented and deepened into a 100-page application book for the second round, which will be submitted to the EU panel through the Ministry of Culture and Education by 23 April 2021.

The EU jury will visit the candidate cities in May 2021. The selection will be announced on 2nd of June 2021

If Tampere and Pirkanmaa are not chosen as the European Capital of Culture in 2026, the city council approved the so-called Plan B. It means a total of 10 per cent of the budget for the Capital of Culture activities, ie a maximum of EUR 1.875 million, will be set aside for the financing of Plan B for the years 2021-2027.